21 Bryant Avenue, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 1LF

+44 (0) 1753 316048

If you cannot pay your tax bill on time

Accountants Near You

Pay your tax

If you cannot pay your tax bill on time

80 / 100

What to do if you did not pay your tax

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible if you have missed your payment. How you contact HMRC depends on what you need to pay.

You have to pay interest if you pay late. You may avoid penalties by contacting HMRC as soon as possible.

If you cannot pay your tax because of coronavirus (COVID-19)

Because of coronavirus you may be able to delay (defer) some tax payments without paying a penalty. You can:

Contact the HMRC coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline if you cannot pay your tax or any other tax bills because of coronavirus.

If you’re self-employed

If you’ve lost income because of coronavirus, you may be able to claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme when it launches. HMRC will contact you if you’re eligible.

Self Employed: If you cannot pay your tax bill

If you owe less than £10,000 you might be able to arrange to pay in instalments online.

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you can delay making your second payment on account due in July 2020. If you choose to delay, you’ll have until 31 January 2021 to pay it.

Call the Self Assessment helpline if you’ve missed your payment date or you cannot use the online service. You do not need to contact HMRC if you have set up a payment plan online.

Self Assessment Payment Helpline
Telephone: 0300 200 3822
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

If you cannot pay other taxes

If you’ve received a payment demand, like a tax bill or a letter threatening you with legal action, call the HMRC office that sent you the letter.

Call the Payment Support Service if you have not received a bill or letter.

Payment Support Service
Telephone: 0300 200 3835
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

Nominated partners in business partnerships can negotiate time to pay with HMRC on behalf of the partnership or individual partners.